My Child Does Not Want To Go To Their Other Parent’s Home: What Do I Do?

My Child Does Not Want To Go To Their Other Parent’s Home: What Do I Do?

son hugging mother

In a shared custody situation, there may be times when your child may not want to change homes. This can be completely normal — especially if they do not handle change well or are stressed out from school, applying to college, or other activities. However, if this becomes a pattern and your child resists visitation with their other parent, then you may need to get to the root of the problem and try and understand why this may be happening.

Assess the Situation

While it may be easiest to just send your child to their other parent’s home despite their resistance, you should assess the situation to make sure that you’re not missing something crucial to their safety and welfare. When assessing the issue, you should ask yourself the following questions:

  • Why does my child not want to visit their other parent?
  • Do they feel unsafe or uncomfortable at that location?
  • Are there any external factors that could affect how your child feels?

When assessing the situation, you can always ask your child why they do not wish to spend time at their other parent’s home. Your child may share with you that they are uncomfortable in the other parent’s home. You may also learn about other issues that may affect your child custody order.

Create a Plan

Once you determine why your child does not wish to visit their other parent, you will need to create a plan to address those concerns. While you create your plan, you will most likely need to continue to send your child to visit their other parent until a legal remedy can be made.

File for a Child Custody Modification

If you can prove that you qualify for a child custody modification, you should file to adjust your custody agreement to benefit your child. When filing your child custody modification, you will need to prove that it is in the child’s best interests, but it should not be hard to prove if your modification reflects your child’s wishes.

File a Restraining Order

If you suspect that there is abuse happening at the other parent’s home, you may file a restraining order. The restraining order can protect your child in the meantime and act as evidence for a child custody modification.

Call Our Coconut Creek Child Custody Lawyers

If your child is resistant to visiting their other parent, then you should contact our child custody lawyers at The Law Offices of Jonny Kousa, P.L. today. Our child custody attorneys can guide you through the legal complexities of child custody and help you file for legal remedies that benefit your child.

If you believe you need a child custody modification, call our Coconut Creek child custody attorneys today at (954) 626-8071 to schedule a complimentary initial consultation.

Related Posts
  • How Can I Prepare My Children For Changes in Their Parenting Plans? Read More
  • Are Your Family’s Holiday Plans Included in the Parenting Plan? Read More
  • 4 Reasons to Be Thankful For Co-Parenting Read More