Student Visa


Student & Exchange Visitor Visa

Attending a U.S. school or University can be an unforgettable experience. You can make that happen with the proper preparation and sound legal advice of a South Florida visa lawyer. The process of obtaining a student visa can be time consuming. You need to make sure that your visa is timely secured so you can begin your studies in the U.S. without delay.

How it Works

If you are a foreign citizen and you wish to study in the United States, then you must obtain a student visa. You would need one of two types of student visas – F-1 or M-1. An F-1 Visa would allow you to enter the United States to attend a college or University, high school, private elementary school, seminary, conservatory, or any other academic institution, including a language training program. An M-1 Visa would allow you to enter the United States to attend a vocational or other recognized non-academic institution, other than a language training program. If you wish to attend school for a short period of recreational study, a Visitor (B) Visa can be used as long as you don’t receive credit toward a degree or academic certificate.

In order to secure a student visa, you must first be accepted by an SEVP approved school. SEVP is the Student and Exchange Visitor Program that manages schools, non-immigrant students in the F and M classifications, and their dependents on behalf of the Homeland Security Department.

If you’re a new student, you can be issued a student visa 120 days or less in advance of your course of study start date, and you will not be allowed to enter the United States earlier than 30 days before your start date. If you wish to enter the United States more than 30 days in advance of your school start date, then you may want to consider a Visitor (B) Visa. However, keep in mind that you will then need to apply to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for a change of status to student status (either F-1 or M-1).

If you’re a continuing student, then you may renew your student visa at any time, as long as you maintain a student status and your records with the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) are current.

Student Visa Lawyer Serving Clients in Fort Lauderdale & Throughout South Florida

If you are considering traveling to the U.S. on a Student Visa, contact a Broward County Student Visa Lawyer today. At The Law Offices of Jonny Kousa, P.L., we can assist you with the Student Visa process every step of the way. Contact us in Coconut Creek at (954) 626-8071. Office appointments are available at three different locations close to South Florida’s major cities, including, but not limited to, West Palm Beach, Coral Springs, Fort Lauderdale, Plantation, Hollywood, or Miami Beach. Our firm serves all counties in South Florida, including Palm Beach County, Broward County, and Miami-Dade County. We also serve clients who live overseas and are interested in getting a Student Visa to study in the United States.

Contact us today for a FREE consultation.

Client Testimonials

    “Jonny is truly a champion of leagues in his profession.”

    - Jesus

    “Jonny made me and my family feel comfortable as he listened attentively to the things that mattered.”

    - Sheila Williams

    “I cannot thank Mr. Kousa enough for helping me get through my legal battle.”

    - Gloria Cosme

    “I would highly recommend Mr. Kousa to anyone looking for a true professional.”

    - Daniel Perez

    “I highly recommend Mr. Kousa if you’re looking for an excellent family law attorney in Broward County!”

    - Bill Marshall

    “Mr. Kousa eliminated mountains of stress that previous attorneys allowed to fall on my shoulders.”

    - Seelena Singh


Let Us Protect Your Rights

Schedule a Free Consultation Today 
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.