My Ex Stopped Paying Child Support — What Do I Do?

My Ex Stopped Paying Child Support — What Do I Do?

woman frowning with hands in face in front of computer

Child support is necessary to help divorced or separated parents care for their children. Many parents rely upon their child’s other parent’s financial support to help cover essential needs such as food, shelter, education, and health care. When a parent suddenly stops paying, it becomes much harder to cover the costs of raising your child.

Take Action Immediately

In Florida, the courts take child support seriously. You can trust that your ex will be expected to pay not only their normal payments, but they will also be required to repay any amounts that they skipped. It is important to note that this process does take time. As soon as you know that the payments are not coming, contact our lawyer to begin working on your case.

Gather Any Essential Information

A lot can change in people’s lives from the time their child support order is enacted and sometimes may no longer have the means to continue taking care of their child support payments. Take note of when the last payment arrived, and inform your Coconut Beach child custody lawyer of any information that you have about your ex.

Your attorney will be able to use information such as your ex’s last known address or employer to jumpstart your case. If you don’t know this information, then don’t put yourself in harm’s way to get it. An attorney can still file your case and work through the judicial system to find out any information they need to get your child support started again.

Speak to a Skilled Child Custody Lawyer

At The Law Offices of Jonny Kousa, P.L., we are experienced with helping divorced parents during every step of their journey. We know how hard it is to make ends meet when you can’t depend upon a child support payment. If your ex stopped paying, do not hesitate to reach out to our Coconut Beach family law team. Together, we can start building a case that holds your ex accountable for upholding their child support obligations.

Call The Law Offices of Jonny Kousa, P.L. today at (954) 626-8071 to discuss your child support case.

Related Posts
  • Do Gifts Given to My Children Count As Child Support Payments? Read More
  • How is Florida Child Support Calculated? Read More
  • The Ins and Outs of Florida Child Support Read More